TRIPARTITE DIALOGUE OF PARLIAMENTARIANS, POLICY MAKERS AND BUSINESS LEADERS (in partnership with the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU))
Channeling investment into sustainable development
This event occurs in Geneva Time (CET, GMT+2).
The COVID-19 pandemic will have a long-lasting impact on the socio-economic environment. In particular, it will pose considerable challenges to sustainable development, especially as the need for investment in development increases. As national legislatures, parliaments have a vital role to play in enabling, promoting and channeling investment in sustainable development and in setting appropriate regulatory frameworks. This extends to a broad range of sectors and policy areas. Important considerations in this context are:
- to ensure that the implementation of nationally agreed sustainable development objectives is adequately financed and meets the needs of the people; and
- the need for strong parliamentary oversight of governance issues, notably concerning issues related to investment regulation.
In this session parliamentarians from around the world will join in a multi-stakeholder dialogue with business executives, ministers and heads of international organizations to discuss and debate how legislators can help create an enabling environment for sustainable private investment for sustainable development in the post-crisis era.
Issues to be addressed:
- How can the interaction between parliaments, government leaders and the private sector be improved to better deliver on sustainable development?
- What are the main challenges for investment for sustainable development at national level and how can this partnership contribute to overcome them?
- What are the global policy imperatives for sustainable financing for development in the post Covid-19 pandemic context?
Event Manager: Alexandre Dabbou
Contact email: Alexandre.Dabbou@unctad.org