THE ROLE OF DERIVATIVE EXCHANGES IN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (in partnership with the World Federation of Exchanges)
Date: Tuesday, 19 October 2021
Embedding sustainability into derivatives
In order to achieve the SDGs and move the world to a more sustainable pathway, it is important to work with derivative exchanges as a key leverage point for establishing critical risk hedging and pricing instruments and standardized products that embed sustainability principles.
This multi-stakeholder session jointly organized by the United Nations Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative and the World Federation of Exchanges will bring together key derivatives exchange actors and industry participants to assess what is happening currently and to address opportunities and challenges for incorporating sustainability considerations into derivatives markets more broadly.
The session will also feature discussions of the joint SSE WFE report “How Derivatives Exchanges can Promote Sustainable Development“, with a focus on supporting the further development of derivatives that embed sustainability principles. Exchanges and market participants will benefit from discussions on the opportunities and challenges involved in including sustainability considerations in the derivatives ecosystem.
Issues to be addressed:
- What role can derivative exchanges play in promoting sustainable development?
- What is the appropriate balance between transparency / allowing the user to choose vs setting the benchmark standard?
- At what point does it become necessary for purposes of price discovery for sustainability issues to be included in the contract specification?
- Mr. James Zhan, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Ms. Siobohan Cleary, Senior Specialist, UN Sustainable Stock Exchanges
- Mr. Richard Metcalfe, Head, Regulatory Affairs, World Federation of Exchanges
- Mr. Kyle Edwards, Senior Director, Chicago Board Options Exchange
- Ms. Herry Cho, Managing Director, Head of Sustainability and Sustainable Finance, Singapore Stock Exchange
- Mr. Owain Johnson, Head of Sustainability, Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- Mr. Walt Lukken, President & CEO, Futures Industry Association
- Mr. Zubin Ramdarshan, Head of Equity & Index Product Design, Eurex
Event Manager: Mr. Anthony Miller
Contact email: Anthony.Miller@unctad.org