The Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative is a peer-to-peer learning platform for exploring how exchanges – in collaboration with policy makers, investors, regulators and companies – can promote responsible investment to accelerate sustainable development. Launched by the United Nations Secretary-General in 2009, the SSE is a United Nations Partnership Programme, co-organized by UNCTAD (Investment and Enterprise Division), the United Nations Global Compact, UNEP (Finance Initiative) and the United Nations supported Principles for Responsible Investment. Today the SSE counts over 100 stock exchanges around the world as partner exchanges. In addition, the SSE welcomes participation from securities regulators, investors, issuers and other key stakeholders.
For over a decade, the SSE flagship event has been its biennial Global Dialogues – the largest global gathering of stock exchange CEOs exclusively devoted to responsible investment. This year the Global Dialogue will take place as a discussion among members of the SSE Independent Advisory Committee, composed of capital market leaders whose role is to provide the SSE Governing Board advice and feedback on the work of the Partnership Programme. This high-level gathering will identify key global challenges in sustainable finance and the role exchanges can play in addressing them.
Issues to be addressed
- What role can stock exchanges play in accelerating action to address climate change? The role of disclosure guidance, market education and new products (e.g. green bonds, green equity indices, carbon credit trading, among others).
- What are the latest developments among securities regulators in promoting sustainability? What are the key challenges? (for example issuer disclosure, asset management greenwashing, ESG ratings and data providers).
- What role can sustainability reporting play in improving the ESG performance among companies?
- What opportunities lie ahead for sustainability themed products in the areas of bonds, equities and derivatives?
- What are the main challenges for financing sustainable development? What are the priorities for the SSE and its partner exchanges?