Sustainable Stock Exchanges Global Dialogue [VIRTUAL] (in partnership with UNGC, UNEP and PRI)
This virtual event occurs in Geneva Time (CET, GMT+2). Abu Dhabi, UAE time is 2:00 hours ahead of Geneva, Switzerland.
The Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative is a global, inclusive platform for exploring how exchanges – in collaboration with policymakers, investors, regulators and companies – can promote responsible investment for sustainable development. It conducts policy and market research, builds consensus among key players, collectively compiles guidelines and provides capacity building services. Launched by the UN Secretary-General in 2009, the SSE is a UN Partnership Programme, co-organized by UNCTAD, the UN Global Compact, UNEP (Finance Initiative) and the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment. Today the SSE counts over 100 stock exchanges around the world as Partner Exchanges. In addition, the SSE welcomes participation from securities regulators, investors, issuers and other key stakeholders.
The SSE Global Dialogue is the largest global gathering of stock exchange CEOs focusing on responsible investment. The 2021 Global Dialogue will further strengthen consensus and action among key capital market actors in their contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals. This year, a series of virtual (pre-recorded) roundtable discussions amongst CEOs will provide a platform for exchanges in their efforts to promote investment in sustainable development.
Issues to be addressed:
- What role can stock exchanges play? Experiences promoting environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) transparency and performance among listed companies and sustainability themed products (e.g., green bonds).
- What is the appropriate role for regulators and what should be left to stock exchanges, investors and issuers?
- What role can sustainability reporting play in improving the ESG performance among companies?
- What opportunities lie ahead for sustainability themed products (equity indices, bonds, etc)?
- What are the main challenges for taking this agenda forward? After hearing about recent developments since the 2018 Sustainable Stock Exchanges Global Dialogue, how can we build upon the momentum over the next year? What next steps can we collectively take as a group of exchanges, regulators, investors and issuers?
Event Manager: Mr. Anthony Miller
Contact email: Anthony.Miller@unctad.org