Investing in a just transition for artisanal miners
Mr. Anthony Miller
18 October 2023
15:00 - 18:00 Abu Dhabi
This session addresses strategies for ensuring a just transition for the world's most vulnerable artisanal miners who are involved in strategic mineral extraction to empower decarbonisation. There are 45 million artisanal miners globally supporting 220 million plus dependents.
The dialogue will be structured around artisanal mining value chain analysis in the context of the energy transition examining the following questions:
- What the realities of artisanal mining? Experts will provide an analysis of what this industry looks like on the ground and what the value chains that are downstream from artisanal mining look like.
- How does artisanal mining enable mineral supply in support of the energy transition? The notion of supply enablement is both direct, minerals dug up by artisanal miners, and indirect, the impact of artisanal mining on large scale mining operations.
- How can artisanal mining be a catalyst of sustainable development? Experts will examine approaches to develop investment capabilities that support formalization.
- What data is available that frames the sector / what data is lacking?
- How does artisanal mining enable mineral supply in support of the energy transition?
- What does formalization mean in this sector? What investment strategies support formalization?