SOVEREIGN WEALTH AND PENSION FUNDS DIALOGUE
Date: Tuesday, 19 October 2021
Leveraging institutional investment for the post-pandemic recovery
The COVID-19 pandemic has once again demonstrated that environmental and sustainability issues constitute material risks for institutional investors such as public pension and sovereign wealth funds. As “universal owners” with large investment in companies across a huge range of sectors and markets, these funds are in a unique position to drive sustainability along the investment chain and channel more capital into key sectors that can contribute to the post-pandemic recovery and long-term sustainable development, in particular in developing countries.
This session will bring together international institutional investors and policymakers to discuss the challenges and opportunities for investing in sustainable development in the post-pandemic era, with a focus on developing economies where capital for sustainable development is much needed.
Issues for discussion:
- How can sovereign wealth funds, pension funds and other institutional investors contribute to the post-pandemic recovery?
- How can institutional investors from developed and developing regions work together to channel more investment to sustainable development in developing countries?
- How can governments facilitate long-term institutional investment in sustainable and inclusive development and maximize its development benefits?
- Mr. James Zhan, Director, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Mr. Deepak Bagla, Managing Director & CEO, Invest India
- Mr. Gordon Bajnai, Former Prime Minister, Hungary; Partner, Global Head of Infrastructure, Chairman of the Global Advisory Board, Campbell Lutyens
- Ms. Sabine Döbeli, CEO, Swiss Sustainable Finance
- Ms. Angélique Laskewitz, Executive Director, Dutch Association of Investors for Sustainable Development (VBDO)
- Mr. Uche Orji, Chief Executive Officer, Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority
- Mr. Laurent Zylberberg, Chairman of the European Long-Term Investors Association (ELTI)
- Mr. Simon Mundy, Moral Money Editor, Financial Times
Event Manager: Mr. Yongfu Ouyang and Mr. Joseph Clements
Contact email: Yongfu.Ouyang@unctad.org, Joseph.Clements@unctad.org