ROUND TABLE ON REGIONAL INTEGRATION AND INVESTMENT PROMOTION (in partnership with Regional Commissions of the UN)
Date: Friday, 22 October 2021
Promoting FDI for regional integration
Most regional economic cooperation organizations consider FDI to be an important pillar of sustainable economic development and regional integration. Some regional organizations and cooperation frameworks have been more active than others in rolling out collective initiatives in support of a conducive investment environment and/or in joint investment promotion, and results vary.
At this session, high-level representatives of various regional economic cooperation organizations will discuss the latest developments in the area of FDI. They will discuss how regional investment policy approaches have evolved in recent years and share experiences in investment promotion in support of regional integration. They will also outline their views on prospects for further future regional investment cooperation.
Issues to be addressed:
- How has regional integration in different parts of the world shaped global and regional investment trends over the past years and how will it affect them in future?
- In the context of regional economic integration, what are the main investment-for-development policy challenges?
- What good investment-related policies, practices and technical cooperation activities can be replicated across regional groupings?
- Mr. James Zhan, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
- H.E. Mr. Henry Puna, Secretary-General, Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat
- Mr. Satvinder Singh, Deputy Secretary-General, ASEAN Economic Community
- Mr. Mounir Tabet, Deputy Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA)
- Mr. Diego Caicedo Pinoargote, General Director, Andean Community
- Mr. Emir Djikic, Director, Central European Free Trade Agreement Secretariat (CEFTA)
- Ms. Rupa Chanda, Director, Trade, Investment and Innovation Division, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Mr. Stephen N. Karingi, Director, Regional Integration and Trade Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
- Ms. Elisabeth Tuerk, Director, Economic Cooperation and Trade, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
- Mr. Mario Castillo Astudillo, Director, International Trade and Integration Division, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Mr. Richard Bolwijn, Head, Investment Research Branch, UNCTAD
- Mr. Astrit Sulstarova, Chief, Investment Trends and Data Section, UNCTAD
Event manager: Mr. Astrit Sulstarova
Contact email: Astrit.Sulstarova@unctad.org