PROMOTING ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR MIGRANTS AND REFUGEES FOR INCLUSIVE AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (in partnership with International Organization for Migration (IOM) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR))
Date: Monday, 18 October 2021
The objective of this round table is to inspire the formulation, implementation, and evaluation of inclusive entrepreneurship policies and joint solutions aimed at migrants and refugees for socioeconomic inclusion, integration, social cohesion and sustainable development. The event will build on the work of the partnership among UNCTAD, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and and the International Organization for Migration within the development and roll-out of the policy guidance on entrepreneurship for migrants and refugees. It will also reflect on lessons learned during practical implementation notably in East Africa, the Andean region and the Middle East. Furthermore, it will outline key elements for future inclusive entrepreneurship policies and the importance of partnerships in a post-COVID-19 recovery, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals, the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM) and the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR).
Issues to be addressed:
- What role can entrepreneurship play in supporting the inclusion and integration of migrants and refugees?
- What specific entrepreneurship policy and practical measures are needed to remove barriers and facilitate socioeconomic inclusion and integration in local economies?
- What are some good practices as well as challenges and lessons learned in facilitating entrepreneurship for migrants and refugees based on a whole-of-society approach?
- What initiatives at national, regional and global levels can be pursued to promote entrepreneurship for migrants and refugees?
- Ms. Isabelle Durant, Deputy Secretary-General, UNCTAD
- Mr. Raouf Mazou, Assistant High Commissioner for Operations, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Ms. Ugoshi Daniels, Deputy Director General for Operations, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Mr. Innocent Havyarimana, CEO, GLAP enterprises
Panel: Experts on Policy and Implementation
- Mr. Ali Ercan Su, Senior EU Expert, Directorate General of International Labour Force, Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Turkey
- Mr. Philippe Guichandut, Head of Inclusive Finance Development, Grameen Credit Agricole Foundation
- Ms. Adrienn Gyory, Social Policy Expert and Programme Manager, CapacityZurich
- Mr. Adel Karoui, CEO, K Consulting, Management Consultant and President, Albideya Association
- Dr. Margareta Drzeniek, Managing Partner, Horizon Group
Event Manager: Mr. Lorenzo Tosini
Contact email: Lorenzo.Tosini@unctad.org