Industry 4.0 the increased use of digital technologies such as automation, data analytics and the “industrial internet of things” is transforming nations, production systems and the way goods and services are delivered to markets. This wave of transformation is on going with important implications for industrial development, skills requirement, global value chains and for efforts of countries to effectively attract investment in Industry 4.0. Further advancement of manufacturing technologies will continue to drive the transformation process with increasing disruptions on industries, adaptation to new ways of doing things, and participation by a growing number of start-ups and technological firms. Understanding Industry 4.0 and the types of technologies that could enhance a product’s development production systems and manufacturing is paramount to addressing future industrial challenges.
While Industry 4.0 brings opportunities to increase efficiency, it also presents significant challenges and risks that need to be carefully addressed. No country can afford to ignore the implications of Industry 4.0 and be left behind. Countries both big and small are introducing policy measures to attract technology-oriented investment to support Industry 4.0 transformation and align to digital industrial development. Some countries have been more effective at attracting technology-oriented investment through their policy measures, conducive digital ecosystem and dedicated promotion and facilitation efforts. Lessons can be learned from the experiences of these countries.
This event consists of two panellist sessions to cover (a) industry perspectives and (b) policy dimensions. It aims to facilitate deliberation on how, on one hand, Industry 4.0 affects the investment attraction prospects of countries, and how, on the other, countries can promote investment for the development of Industry 4.0.
Issues to be addressed
- What is the investment landscape and technological development shaping Industry 4.0?
- How are multinationals and other firms adapting or positioning themselves to take advantage of investment opportunities and address challenges associated with Industry 0?
- How do countries participate, move up the value chains and attract investment from firms with digital technology advantage to support Industry 0development?
- Attracting technologies for Industry 4.0: Best practice
- Global digital investment landscape and Industry 4.0
- Role of MNE, venture capitals and start-ups in Industry 4.0 transformation
Trackers and international organizationS (Global investment in industrial automation, IoT and robotics technology)