Science Parks and Areas of Innovation Models (in partnership with International Association of Science Parks and Areas of Innovation)
Investing in innovation-based development
This event occurs in Geneva Time (CET, GMT+2).
Science and technology special economic zones (SEZs) are an emerging type of SEZs – moving beyond the trade- and labor-intensive manufacturing activities of traditional SEZs. Some economies use science and technology zones to build innovation clusters and advance relevant industries. Others adopt science and technology zones with the aim of promoting economic diversification and technology development. Should all countries pursue the establishment of such zones? How to incorporate such zones into countries’ development strategy and make them work for sustainable development? Those are relevant questions for policymakers, zone developers and enterprises alike.
This session will bring together zone associations, zones developers, policymakers and tenant enterprises to a discussion centered on how science and technology zones can contribute to the local economy and sustainable development.
The event will be summarized in the form of a small practical booklet for policymakers to assist them in planning science and technology zones.
Issues to be addressed:
- How can inclusive growth be promoted through linkages and spillovers of science and technology zones?
- How can science and technology zones contribute to sustainable development?
- What are some of the best practices from science and technology zones around the world?
- Mr. James X. Zhan, Director, Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Ms. Ebba Lund, CEO, IASP
- Mr. Mclean Sibanda, Managing Director, Bigen Group
- Mr. Gavin Poole, CEO, Here East
- Mr. John Tanui, CEO, Konza Technopolis
- Mr. Herbert Chen, Vice Director, TusPark
- Mr. Salvatore Majorana, Director, Kilometro Rosso
- Ms. Deepwanwita Chattopadhyay, CEO, IKP Knowledge Park
- Mr. Leandro Pompermaier, Manager, Tecnopuc, Brazil
- Ms. Lena Miranda, CEO, Linköping Science Park
Event Manager: Mr. Richard Bolwijn
Contact email: Richard.email@example.com