High-Level Interregional Dialogue on Facilitating Investment in SDG Projects (in partnership with Caribbean Association of Investment Promotion Agencies (CAIPA) and the East African Community (EAC) and Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariats)
This registration is for the all sessions of the 7th WIF 2021. All events occur in Geneva Time (CET, GMT+2).
Date: Wednesday, 20 October 2021
Virtual WIF Platform: Access link (Room 13)
Facilitating investment in Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) projects entails a wide range of stakeholders as different as local governments and regional integration schemes, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), development finance institutions, impact and institutional investors, and community groups whose goals are not always focused on profit maximization. Therefore, investment facilitation in SDG projects is a wider ranging and complex activity that goes beyond dealing with multinational enterprises (MNEs).
Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic radically changed the international investment landscape and pushed investment promotion agencies (IPAs) and alike to change their way of doing business, their sector priorities and to embrace new technologies, while in many cases facing budget cuts. This and the accruing needs for SDG project finance are critical sources of stress for IPAs, adding to the complexity.
This interregional dialogue will discuss findings, recommendations, and best practices from three different developing regions: Southern African Development Community (SADC), the East African Community (EAC) and the Caribbean. It will bring together high-level regional and IPA executives and private sector representatives who will discuss the opportunities in facilitating investment in SDG projects, with a focus on the role of regionalization and regional value chains as a key strategy.
Issues to be addressed:
- Regional and intraregional cooperation in facilitating investment in SDG projects
- IPAs challenges in facilitating investment in SDG projects
- Mr. James Zhan, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
Panel I. Regional and interregional cooperation in facilitating investment in SDG projects
- Mr. Moses Ikiara, CEO, Kenya Investment Authority and Director of the Board, COMESA RIA
- Hon. Peter M. Mathuki, Secretary General, East African Community [TBC]
- Dr. Damie Sinanan, Manager Competitiveness and Export Promotion, Caribbean Export Development Agency
- Mr. Peter Varndell, CEO, SADC Business Council
Panel II. IPAs challenges in facilitating investment in SDG projects
Investment facilitation in the health sector
- Mr. Robert Mukiza, Director General, Uganda Investment Authority
Facilitating SDG investment in agribusiness
- Dr. Khanyisile Dlamini, Executive Manager, Eswatini Investment Promotion Authority (EIPA)
- Ms. Fabienne Michaux, Director, SDG Investor Map Programme, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Investment facilitation at the regional level (regional i-Guide portal)
- Ms. Diane Edwards, President of Jampro and first Vice President of Caribbean Association of Promotion Agencies (CAIPA)
- Ms. Yvonne Okwara, Senior News Anchor, Kenyan Television
Event Manager: Ms. Natalia Guerra
Contact email: Natalia.Guerra@unctad.org