WIF OPENING SUMMIT
Date: Monday, 18 October 2021
Session video: WIF Opening Summit
Session video: Global Leaders Investment Summit 1: Investing in Sustainable Recovery
Investing in sustainable recovery
The summit segments of the World Investment Forum, the Global Leaders Investment Summits, are the headline events of the Forum. They give a platform to global leaders from government, business, and the international community to present their vision for the future of investment and sustainable development. The summits discuss the immediate challenges and opportunities in investment and interrelated trade, technology and sustainability issues, and longer-term developments that we should wake up to.
The first 2021 Global Leaders’ Investment Summit will address the challenge of re-starting the investment engine of growth for a sustainable recovery and for mobilizing global investment to meet the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It will pay particular attention to the role that global investment governance needs to play in this regard. At a time when the global pandemic has had a severe impact on investment flows in general, and investment in the SDGs in particular, with some of the achievements made between 2015-2019 now being reversed, it is essential for the global investment community to re-mobilize investment, re-channel it into SDG sectors, particularly in poverty-ridden countries, and re-double efforts to ensure that it generates sustainable development impact. The re-alignment of global investment governance towards increased regionalism and protectionism, and the shift in national economic policies from liberalization to regulation and intervention, poses an additional challenge in this regard.
Issues to be addressed:
- What national, regional, and global policy approaches are best suited to restart the engine of international production and restore supply chains?
- How can governments, the private sector, and the international community re-mobilize, re-channel and reinvigorate investment in the SDGs, particularly in the poorest countries?
- What can the United Nations contribute to support these efforts?
- Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General, United Nations
- H.E. Ms. Mia Amor Mottley, Prime Minister, Barbados and President of UNCTAD 15
- H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, President of the 76th Session of the UN General Assembly
- Mr. John W.H. Denton, Secretary General, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Mr. Duarte Pacheco, President, Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- Ms. Nandini Sukumar, CEO, World Federation of Exchanges (WFE)
- Ms. Rebeca Grynspan, Secretary-General, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- H.E. Mr. Armen Sarkissian, President of the Republic of Armenia
- H.E. Mr. Mokgweetsi Eric Keabetswe Masisi, President of the Republic of Botswana
- H.E. Mr. Carlos Alvarado Quesada, President of the Republic of Costa Rica
- H.E. Mr. Mr. Luis Abinader Corona, President of the Dominican Republic
- Mr. Bill Winters, CEO, Standard Chartered
- Mr. John Haley, CEO, Willis Towers Watson
- Mr. Svein Tore Holsether, CEO, Yara
- Mr. Laxman Narasimhan, CEO, Reckitt
- Mr. Ignacio Galán, Chairman and CEO, Iberdrola
- Mr. James Zhan, Lead, UNCTAD World Investment Forum
Event Manager: Mr. Joerg Weber
Contact email: Joerg.Weber@unctad.org