ACADEMIC TRACK Opening plenary (in partnership with the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), Academy of International Business (AIB), Oxford University Press and New York University Abu Dhabi)
Setting the future research and policy agenda on international investment and development
This event occurs in Geneva Time (CET, GMT+2).
For more than three decades, UNCTAD has contributed to advance thinking, policy analysis and technical assistance on foreign direct investment (FDI), the activities of multinational enterprise (MNEs), and international production. 2020 marked 30 years of UNCTAD’s World Investment Report, each edition covering the latest trends in FDI globally, and analysing fundamental topics related to FDI and development.
The Academic Track is organized in collaboration with leading academic institutions and associations in disciplines related to investment and development. The track will consist of a series of events with the aim of providing a platform for discussions, as well as integrating research and opinions from leading scholars, researchers, executives from global companies and senior policymakers. The programme will cover issues related to foreign investment, MNEs and development in a global context, across multiple disciplines.
- Mr. James Zhan, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Ms. Mariët Westermann, Vice Chancellor, New York University [TBC]
- Ms. Anabel González, Deputy Director-General at the World Trade Organization, senior fellow PIIE
- H.E. Dr. Arkebe Oqubay Metiku, Senior Minister and Special Adviser to the Prime Minister of Ethiopia
- Ms. Beata Javorcik, Chief Economist, EBRD
- Prof. Justin Yifu Lin, Professor at Peking University
- Prof. Kunal Sen, Director of UNU-WIDER, and Professor of development economics at the Global Development Institute, University of Manchester
- Prof. Emily Blanchard, Professor at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College
- Prof. Farok J. Contractor, Distinguished Professor, Management and Global Business department at Rutgers Business School, and President of the Academy for International Business (AIB)
- Dr. Jeffrey Owens, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria
- Prof. Laura Alfaro, Professor of Economics, Harvard Business School
- Prof. Gary Gereffi, Professor of Sociology and Director, Center on Globalization, Governance & Competitiveness (CGGC), Duke University
- Dr. Peter Buckley, Professor of International Business at Leeds University Business School
- Mr. Raghu Sundaram, Dean and the Edward I. Altman Professor of Credit and Debt Markets at New York University’s Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- Prof. Yaw Nyarko, Professor of Economics at New York University (NYU) and the Director of NYU Africa House, the Center for Technology and Economic Development (CTED), and Co-Director of the Development Research Institute (DRI)
Event Manager: Ms. Amelia U. Santos-Paulino
Contact email: Amelia.Santos-Paulino@unctad.org