International Standards of Accounting and Reporting (ISAR) Workshop
Accounting for Bitcoin
Monday, 22 October; 10:00 – 13:00
The workshop will address emerging issues in the area of blockchain, digitalization and digital currencies, and in particular the implications of these phenomena for financial reporting. It will allow a range of reporting stakeholders to take stock of this technological revolution, which brings both opportunities and risks for the quality of reporting, the accounting profession and financial stability. The first roundtable will introduce emerging issues, focusing on the broader implications of blockchain technology and the digitalization revolution for accounting stakeholders. The second roundtable will delve into the subject of digital currencies, and how they relate to the existing financial reporting infrastructure.
Issues for the debate:
- Digitalization and accounting: the current context
Round table 1
- What is the impact of digitalization on accounting practice?
- What are some of the risks and opportunities of blockchain technology in accounting?
- What are the main implications for the accountancy profession? What are some emerging good practices in harnessing the digital revolution for high-quality accounting?
Round table 2
- What is the current context for digital currencies from an accounting perspective?
- What are the main technical developments that occurred over recent years in the area of accounting standards for cryptocurrencies? What are some emerging frameworks?
- What are the main challenges to devising standards and practice in financial reporting in response to digital currencies?