High-level International Investment Agreements (IIA) Conference 2018
Going beyond IIAs: Fostering Coherence through Phase 3 of Reform
Mobilizing investment and channelling it towards the SDGs require adequate policy frameworks, at both the international and national levels, and in the investment and other policy fields. Countries have been working on reforming their international investment treaty networks. But there is also a need to consider national investment laws reform and ensure that investment policies are coherent with and supportive of other public policies. These challenges are taken up in Phase 3 of IIA Reform. Based on UNCTAD’s Reform Package for the International Investment Regime (2017), the 2018 IIA Conference will take stock of Phases 1 and 2 of IIA Reform and chart the way forward for the third phase of reform.
Issues for the debate:
- What progress has been made on different reform areas and the modernization of old-generation treaties?
- What are countries’ priorities for the third phase of reform?
- What can be done to improve overall investment policy coherence?
- Phase 3 of IIA Reform, Chapter III, pages 88-115 in the World Investment Report 2018: Investment and New Industrial Policies
- UNCTAD’s Reform Package for the International Investment Regime (Phases 1 and 2 of IIA Reform)
- Investment Policy Framework for Sustainable Development
- IIA Issues Note: Recent Developments in the International Investment Regime
- IIA Issues Note: Investor-State Dispute Settlement Review of Developments in 2017
- UNCTAD’s Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation
- Investment Facilitation: A Review of Policy Practices
Past High-level IIA conferences:
- 9-11 October 2017 – UNCTAD Annual High-level IIA Conference on Phase 2 of IIA Reform
- 19 July 2016 – UNCTAD World Investment Forum, High-level IIA Conference
- 16 March 2016 – UNCTAD Expert Meeting on Taking stock of IIA Reform
- 25-27 February 2015 – UNCTAD Expert Meeting on the Transformation of the IIA Regime
- 16 October 2014 – UNCTAD World Investment Forum, High-level Conference on Reforming the IIA Regime