Sustainable Cities Round Table
Date: 14 October 2014
Moderator: Prof. Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, United States of America
Opening statement: Mr. Petko Draganov, Deputy Secretary-General of UNCTAD [Download]
Press release: English – Spanish
Location: Palais des Nations, Room XXVI
City mayors and urban design innovators in a discussion on the most promising investment initiatives and policy practice for building sustainable cities. This event was organized by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN-SDSN), led by Jeffrey Sachs, in collaboration with UNCTAD.
Elements for the debate
- What role for private investment in addressing pressing challenges faced by mega cities, including to uplift the urban poor?
- What governance structure, including for foreign investment, will create more inclusive cities?
- How best can the private sector contribute to the maintenance and sustainable development of mega cities?
- H.E. Dr. Ali Masoud Al-Sunaidy, Minister of Commerce and Industry of Oman
- Mr. Hanan Gundadow Abdul-Rahman, Metropolitan Chief Executive, City of Tamale, Ghana
- Mr. Russell Curtis, Deputy Head, Durban Investment Promotion Authority, eThekwini Municipality, South Africa
- Mr. Jordi Joly i Lena, CEO of Economy and Finance, Barcelona City Council
- Mr. Martin Powell, Global Head of Urban Development, Siemens, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Ms. Elaine Weidman-Grunewald, Vice President of Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility, Ericsson, Sweden
- Ms. Gabriela Reyes, Director of Sustainable Use of Energy, Ministry of Energy, Mexico