Capital Markets Dialogue
Date: 15 October 2014
Location: Palais des Nations, Room IX
Global banking de-leveraging and shrinking public financing are constraining global credit supply. The private sector will increasingly have to provide the long-term pension products for retirement and for infrastructure financing. Capital markets and market-based financing instruments are therefore at a critical juncture. Given the increase in intra-financial business within the banking industry and the tighter lending environment post-banking reforms, capital markets have to be instrumental in filling this gap. Organized in partnership with the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO).
Elements for the debate
- How can policy makers and regulators further promote sustainable and integrated securities markets, and enhance global coordination and converged regulation?
- How can policy makers strengthen systemic implementation of international standards? What can be done to ensure that global financial regulatory institutions are appropriately resourced and have adequate powers? How can the risks of regulatory fragmentation be reduced or mitigated?
- What steps can be taken to further strengthen the supervision and enforcement mechanisms of regulators in order to promote a competitive and transparent financial industry? How can the transparency of the financial industry be further enhanced to discipline risk taking? What mechanisms need to be in place to establish effective investor protection and financial stability? What can policy makers and regulators do to promote investor confidence? What is the current state of international financial reform and what role will this play?
A panel of capital market leaders moderated by the Secretary-General of IOSCO. The interactive session featured a moderated discussion between panelists to be followed by Q&A with session participants and concluding remarks.
- Mr. David Wright, Secretary General, International Organization of Securities Commissions
- Mr. Petko Draganov, Deputy Secretary General, UNCTAD
- Mr. Leonardo Pereira, Chairman, Securities Commission of Brazil
- Mr. Gerrit Luiting, Manager International Affairs, Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets
- Ms. Joanna Cound, Managing Director, Government Relations & Public Policy, Blackrock
- Mr. Maged Shawky Sourial, CEO, Beltone Financial Holding
- Mr. Ashishkumar Chauhan, CEO and Managing Director, Bombay Stock Exchange
- Mr. Francis Stenning, CEO, Lima Stock Exchange